Wednesday, January 16, 2008

a pixie-haired mom is ready for changes ... (or so she hopes)

am in my final weeks of the pregnancy now. not feeling the healthiest, strongest and certainly not the most attractive at the moment. body and joints are all achy, nose is bloody, sleeps are becoming almost impossible. put simply, i'm not feeling the chirpiest, happiest and most confident 34-week-plus mom right now.

so ... something had to be done. i could have resorted to just lying in bed with a good book or mag ... but that'll see me as plain lazy and won't help the ever-expanding hips and thighs and bum! i could have entertained myself with some dvds - but nothing new to watch, and i don't particularly fancy a repeat of the ones i've watched. i could have baked me some naughty-but-am-certain-would-be-satisfying brownies or cookies, or whipped me up a good lime custard pudding thingy my sister does so brilliantly ... but, i'm crap in the dessert-making department. i did the most logical thing then. drove to the mall nearby, got myself a much-needed haircut.

as i watched with all blurriness (glasses were off while the lady did her thing on my hair), i was bidding goodbye to my long-ish locks and my messy days, and as each lot of curls were brushed off me, i took that as new chapters to open up, new rewards to look forward to, new beginnings to embrace. i've a pretty short hairdo now. (for obvious reasons, i can't put up a photo of the 'new' me ;-)) i feel much more free, light and ready to face the next great big thing coming my way. i think i needed the haircut, not just as i was getting sick of my limp long hair, and not just as i've always thought short hair suited me better, but it was more of a step to change things around, to take the plunge and just let things be as He has obviously mapped out for me and to not worry too much over tiny little details every so often. there is only so much i can do at the end of each day, the rest - the unfinished bits of work - either abandon them completely, or just calmly bring it on to the next day's list of to-dos. hitting myself, punishing myself over imperfections won't do any good, and as a result, i only end up a cranky mom and wife. that isn't what i want to be, though sadly, that's happened one too many times off late. so, enough of that, it's time to start fresh. the haircut is a good first step. and heck, i NEED to sort myself out already ... i've a baby to give birth to in a month's time - give or take some days.

on that note, what better way to welcome in more positives than indulging in a big mug of chilled orange juice and a couple of scones. of course, i could beg my sister to make her lovely lime custard pudding thingy, but the OJ and scones will do for now. one can't go wrong with a lil bit of sugar-pampering, right? ;-)

3 comments:

kaezrin said...

i've done the hair cut when i was at the nerve breaking point during my madness travelling attending users need for my project at the office. I cut it very short but my hubs said i look so different coz obviously i had a short hair cut was in 1992. that long kan...but right now I so wants to have a very good relaxing moment prolly in a pool , coz i just feel sweaty and hot hot hot..tension la...

zie_naz said...

Sounds familiar here!:-)Yup! Haircut is a good way for new things coming up, The new, energetic you for the new challenges! I've had few haircuts to start new things that came up in life! Or just for stress relief!! Hahaha..:-) All the best to you! :-)

Delia said...

i use to frequent the salons when i'm stressed in uni! so much so my hair was never really long until i met z coz he loves me with long hair.. but b4 the baby comes, i'm contemplating of getting a short do ala katie holmes! =) (posh's do is a bit too edgy for plain ol' me...) hehe