Friday, July 4, 2008

know your mother tongue, my dear ...


Big Z thinks in funny ways, I'm starting to think that. No wait, I most possibly knew that all this time, but humour me, why don't you? :-)


We generally converse in English to each other. Of course there are the Malay words thrown in between our sentences, but truth be told, it's pretty much English rest of the time for us. Big Z though has decided he should be fair and kind to the maids (once a week I borrow my mum's maid to help me with the housework; rest of the time, I'm THE chief maid at home ;-)) when he's something to say in front of or to the maid. The following were some things he said at different times; the ones I managed to overhear.


.................................



Big Z wanted some cold water ...

"Kakak, nak air cold please. Muhammad nak air cold please".

Firstly, note how he says 'cold water'. It becomes air cold, like one would say in Malay, air sejuk.

Secondly, when he uses a bit of Malay, he's suddenly Muhammad more than he is Zarif.



Big Z was lying next to Baby Z and I was trying to get him in the bathroom for his shower. The maid happened to be just outside the family room we were in at the time ...

"Oh Mummy ... wait just a little bit, ok. Jap je ...... Muhammad nak baring next to Zayaan. Just a lil bit, Mummy".


Again, the Muhammad name is put to use here.



.................................



It was his school's Open Day earlier this week. Had a chat with his teacher and while he's doing well in school overall (for which I'm very thankful and glad), once a week he has a one-to-one session with his teacher for Bahasa Malaysia. Says the teacher, she speaks to him in Malay, he replies in English. He understands Malay, but just thinks quicker and replies accurately in English.



:: Big Z showing me his school work at the Open Day

(more photos over on my Facebook page) ::



So there you have it. My Big Z who thinks he needs to use his first name when conversing in Malay. I just think it's interesting how he's chosen Muhammad to be the 'Malay' name and Zarif the 'English' name. LOL

2 comments:

lyn said...

yeh... likewise.

my boys dont understand, dont speak. not a single word, not even words as simple as air, or baring or jap.

its worrying. yet no one here speaks in malay anyways. so to them it is an alien langguage.

zie_naz said...

so funny Zarif..he'll get used to first name in the future!hahaha... Mrika, so much that we (especially the kids!) love to live in san diego, we r going to say good bye at the end of september for a 'for good' move to S'pore. We call it enough of moving around the world, after 11 yrs, and now with 3 kids in tow :-) wish us luck!:-)