Wednesday, May 28, 2008

the modern dad ...

I never envisioned my husband to be the type. You know the type - the one who 'clocks in' to work anytime of the day really coz he works from home. And before you go "aaawww... how lucky you are to have him at the house", let me just paint you a clearer picture.

Yes, The Husband does work from home, he's his own start-up firm and is doing just fine exploring what he loves most - working for himself, servicing client's financial needs. Working from home - that simply translates into working anytime, all the time. There's no fixed working hours with him. It's 'work for as long as I'm up' kinda thing. What's good though is, he's taken quite a bit of responsibility in attending to the running errands part of our home - mainly the school run and the getting take-out food for us. Before Baby Z came along, I cooked a bit. Now, I cook so rarely, our pantry might as well be empty. I do the rest of the cleaning up around the house, and the cooking, when it happens. Haha.


Oooh, but I digress. This entry is about The Husband, not about me. Back to it then ...
In those typical mom-lit books that are ever-so-popular these days, often there's talk on moms managing school runs. Sometimes, lending a hand to fellow mommy friends in ferrying their kids as well. Car-pooling at its best, if you like. And then, in some of those said mom-lit books, there's one Daddy-cool who does the school run. Often, the portrayed Daddy-cool also just happens to be pretty darn hot for a Dad. So hot that the mommies 'secretly' outdo each other, in the hopes for even the slightest of glance from the Daddy-cool.

It's all fiction of course, but now that The Husband frequents Big Z's school more than I do, now that he does the school run, it would be rather amusing to have my other half as the Daddy-cool of the school run community. ;-)


It's a modern day tale then. Days when Daddies working from home, doing school runs and grocery shopping are common sights. I just hope, on my part personally, he won't take my place in attending morning brunches with my mommy friends. LOL.

2 comments:

lyn said...

hmm... if it happened to me, i dont consider myself lucky tho.

leave the school runs, the grocery shopping, the cooking, the household chores, the taking care of the boys, the whatever nots to me. im cut out for that.

what i cant stand is if hazlan was at home all the time, OR at least during office hours :)

to me, work is work and so, must have somewhere, anywhere for that matter to go to for that.

but if let just say he has to work from home, i dare suggest have a garden shed or a granny flat or a contenna ....

just dont be home working, be it if it is own business or workload from the office. there's a place & time for that and home is just not it

zie_naz said...

The Daddy here works from home, from office, involving with errands, school runs (or rather in class together with Umar, as we r taking parent&child class) when available, and I suppose involve with lotsa things to do with our 3 heroes, except when he's abroad :-P Alhamdulillah...although for house chores part, leave it to me for less time spend on it! :-P, and better for him to look for the 3 heroes while I'm at my busiest in da house. This is it..different era.. Whichever lifestyle it is, as long as we r all happy family! :-)